Monday, August 22, 2011

2010 Alaska Sunk - Part 1 of 15



Part 1 of 15

My Dream

My Planning

Set to Go!


My Dream

It was something I had to do. I'd had recurring dreams about it. It was on my bucket list. My dream was to go by Harley Davidson motorcycle to Vancouver. From there, take a BC ferry to Prince Rupert and then switch to the Alaska Marine Highway System (American) Ferry to Whittier, Alaska. That would be four full days at sea.

The route called for a stay in Anchorage overnight and then on to Fairbanks. That's where I would start the return trip. Fairbanks down through Toc and Chicken and then to the Canadian border and the “Top of the World Highway" to Dawson City, Yukon. My accommodation would be a small pup-tent excepting in areas where I thought it might be too dangerous. In those situations I would stay in a motel, if I could find one. Even though people with more experience than me told me that I was crazy, I was determined to follow my dream of a lifetime. My son-in-law gave me a can of bear spray and convinced me to take it with me for safety's sake.


My Planning

The Klondike Visitor's Association had told me that there was a gas station in Chicken AK which was 175Km from Dawson City, Yukon. That had been a major concern of mine since my almighty Harley guzzles gas and she runs out after 220 Kms so I figured I could make it without having to carry an extra bottle of gas strapped to my Harley.

They also advised me that the “Top of the World Highway” is not fully paved and can be frightening at times especially where there are steep drop-offs alongside the road and on hairpin bends. They told me to be prepared and to drive with caution. How could I possibly resist such adventures? Their e-mail to me encouraged me to the point where the sooner I got on the road, the better!


Set to Go!

I chose Saturday June 12th , 2010 for my departure. My bike was loaded. I had taken the precaution of having her fully serviced at the shop in preparation for this trip. She had new engine oil and new oil in her primary chain-case and transmission as well. I'd had a new rear tire installed. She was full of high test gas. Her tire pressures were dead-on target and she was packed and ready to go. I parked her in my garage with the door left wide-open while I watched the rain come down. It was heavy. It just wouldn't let up. Neighbours dropped in to chat and to wish me good luck. I was considering delaying my departure for twenty-four hours until a clearing broke in the clouds and the sun came out! It was exactly noon….and I was gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment